E-ISSN 2367-699X | ISSN 2367-7414
 

Research Article 


Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience

Tihomir Totev, Mila Kayryakova, Georgi Stamenov.

Abstract
Introduction: Postpartum haemorrhage (PPH) remains a leading cause of maternal morbidity and mortality and sometimes requires a hysterectomy. Several studies have shown the haemostatic effectiveness of a Bakri intrauterine haemostatic balloon, and this needs further examination in a single-centre study. Materials and methods: This is an observational cohort retrospective single-centre study evaluating the effect of a Bakri balloon tamponade on the reduction of the rate of postpartum hysterectomy. Results: A total of 96 patients were treated for PPH resistant to pharmacological measures and were included in this study. In 88 (91.7%) patients, the Bakri balloon tamponade was performed during or after a caesarean section. The indication for the Bakri balloon was as follows: 73 (76%) for uterine atony; 7 (7.3%) for placenta accreta spectrum; 4 (4.2%) for retained placenta; 6 (6.3%) for secondary PPH; 5 (5.2%) for laceration of the genital tract, and 1 (1%) for uncontrolled bleeding from an intramural leiomyoma. Bakri balloon achieved hemostasis in 91 (94.8%), and the remaining 5 (5.2%) required a hysterectomy, 47,9% of the patients had undergone laparoscopic or hysteroscopic interventions, and 60,4% had conceived after IVF procedures. Conclusions: This single-centre study identified the Bakri balloon tamponade as an effective treatment for PPH.

Key words: Postpartum haemorrhage, Bakri balloon, hysterectomy


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Tihomir Totev
Articles by Mila Kayryakova
Articles by Georgi Stamenov
on Google
on Google Scholar


How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

Totev T, Kayryakova M, Stamenov G. Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. Int J Surg Med. 2021; 7(1): 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon


Web Style

Totev T, Kayryakova M, Stamenov G. Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. http://www.ejos.org/?mno=58317 [Access: March 03, 2021]. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Totev T, Kayryakova M, Stamenov G. Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. Int J Surg Med. 2021; 7(1): 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Totev T, Kayryakova M, Stamenov G. Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. Int J Surg Med. (2021), [cited March 03, 2021]; 7(1): 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



Harvard Style

Totev, T., Kayryakova, . M. & Stamenov, . G. (2021) Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. Int J Surg Med, 7 (1), 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



Turabian Style

Totev, Tihomir, Mila Kayryakova, and Georgi Stamenov. 2021. Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, 7 (1), 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



Chicago Style

Totev, Tihomir, Mila Kayryakova, and Georgi Stamenov. "Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience." International Journal of Surgery and Medicine 7 (2021), 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Totev, Tihomir, Mila Kayryakova, and Georgi Stamenov. "Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience." International Journal of Surgery and Medicine 7.1 (2021), 59-61. Print. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Totev, T., Kayryakova, . M. & Stamenov, . G. (2021) Bakri balloon in the management of postpartum haemorrhage a single centre experience. International Journal of Surgery and Medicine, 7 (1), 59-61. doi:10.5455/ijsm.bakri-balloon